Google Groups and FeedDemon Woes

I’ve been having a couple of issues recently with a Google Groups hosted list that I manage, for which no solutions seem to be available.

Issue #1 – Google Groups Atom Feed id and link attribute broken

I’ve detailed this issue more in my post to the Is Something Broken forum on the Google Groups website, but so far there’s no resolution. Basically the Atom feeds generated by Google Groups generate a id and link attribute that contains a relative link without an FQDN so that when viewed from an RSS reader, the links are broken because the RSS reader passes a URL without an FQDN to the web browser. I hope this gets fixed as it seems like a pretty major problem.

When viewed from Firefox’s Live Bookmarks it works fine, but not otherwise.

The RSS 2.0 feed generated by Google Groups does have an FQDN in the link attribute so it works properly. The “obvious” solution (other than fixing the issue, which is up to Google) is to use the RSS 2.0 feed instead of the Atom feed but that creates another problem.

UPDATE (18/06/2008): As of today, Google seems to have fixed the issue with the Atom feeds.

Issue #2 – FeedDemon 2.7 does not handle the pubDate in the RSS 2.0 feeds correctly

The pubDates in the RSS 2.0 feed seem to be generated correctly, like the following:

<pubDate>Fri, 06 Jun 2008 00:02:27 UT</pubDate>

When the RSS 2.0 feed is added to FeedDemon in synced mode (where it syncs with the Newsgator servers), it seems to ignore the pubDate and pick some arbitrary date for all the entries, and all the entries share this same date.

When the RSS 2.0 feed is added in non-synced mode (where FeedDemon pulls from the feed server directly), all the pubDates are respected and it works properly. In Firefox Live Bookmarks it works properly too.

With the Atom 1.0 feed from Google, the dates are correct in all cases but the links are broken. But at the moment users are in a quandry as there appear to be problems in both Google’s feed implementation and FeedDemon’s parsing of Google’s feeds.

UPDATE (08/06/2008): Nick Bradbury, the creator of FeedDemon has been able to reproduce the bug and has added it to the FeedDemon bug tracking database.

This entry was posted in Blogging, Google, Mozilla, Web Authoring and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Google Groups and FeedDemon Woes

  1. Ali, Have you reported this on the various NewsGator forums or to Nick Bradbury, FeedDemon’s developer http://nick.typepad.com/

  2. Ali Ebrahim says:

    Yusuf, I’ve already reported this via the Provide Feedback option in the Help menu of FeedDemon. I couldn’t find any support email address to which I could email about this bug. I hope that the feedback form is monitored.

    In any case, you mentioned via email that you Twittered Nick Bradbury about this post, so I guess that he will be aware of it. Thanks. I wasn’t aware of the forum and I just posted a short report here:

    http://forum.newsgator.com/Topic40394-14-1.aspx

  3. Ali, I’ve found that the NewsGator forums are frequented by NewsGator staffers. http://forum.newsgator.com/
    I think you should post your findings there so that other FeedDemon users can also comment on it

  4. Ali Ebrahim says:

    Yusuf, I already have. See the above comment.

  5. Thanks for the heads-up about this problem, Ali. I’ve just added this to our bugtracker and reported it to our platform team.

Leave a Reply